Farmers and Communities Manage Deer
NC Wildlife Federation’s Farmers and Communities Manage Deer Program brings together farmers, sportsmen and community groups to sustainably manage white-tailed deer, reduce deer damage to crops, increase local farm and community revenue and provide hunter-harvested venison to local food banks and shelters. It is a collaborative effort with NC Hunters for the Hungry, with financial support from the NC Tobacco Trust Fund Commission.
High numbers of deer can contribute to excessive crop loss on farms, the spread of disease within deer populations and deer-vehicle collisions. With assistance from farmers, hunters, hunt clubs, civic organizations, church ministry groups and businesses, the Farmers and Communities Manage Deer Program supports deer management, donates about 13,000 pounds of venison each year to feed the hungry in NC communities and serves as a model for farmers and communities across the state struggling with an overabundance of deer.
- To ensure healthy deer populations for the future
- Support sustainable use of a natural resource
- Assist with the reduction of crop damage on farms
- Support individuals and groups suffering from food insecurity
- Build community relations through giving back
- Support economic growth through agritourism
How to Help?
- Spread the word in your local community
- Host a community fundraiser for the program
- Operate a community deer donation site
- Donate legally harvested deer free and easily at participating sites
- Organize a local hunt to collect deer donations for the program
- Provide access to land for organized hunting opportunities
Dare to Hyde
23145 US Hwy 264, Swan Quarter
Mobile Deer Cooler
Qualified organizations and hunting groups may reserve a 12’ x 6’ mobile walk-in cooler at no charge and use this cooler to collect, cool and transport harvested deer to the nearest NC Hunters for the Hungry processor. The processed venison will then be distributed to local area non-profit food distribution networks to ensure the venison is donated back to the community.
Support the North Carolina Wildlife Federation
Gather your family and friends and plan your next outdoor adventure for one of North Carolina’s many unforgettable natural destinations. Help NCWF preserve wildlife and wild places for our children and future generations to come.